Friday, September 17, 2010

Keeping Up With The Masses, An Artists Struggle To Social Media and The Art of Engaging


I’ve spent my morning trying to get organized, listing art on new sites, keeping up with the social media sites, tweaking my twitter, stumbling my pictures and finally updating my blog. There is so much to keep up with......aggghhhh. I want to simplify, downsize, reign things in a little but I find myself afraid to miss an opportunity. How many of you feel lost on twitter? Do you feel like your tweets are just going out into the unknown, never to be noticed? Engage we are told; show you are a real person. Does anyone REALLY want to hear about my kids first day of school, how I burned the oatmeal this morning or how fat my kitten is getting? I just don’t see it but I’ll keep tweeting just in case there is someone likeminded out there actually listening. I just want to paint, lock myself away and paint until I run out of supplies. But what’s the use of painting for a living if I don’t find a way to share it with the masses. I’ll cross my fingers and send new artwork out to cyber space in the hopes someone out there will connect with it enough to press that buy button. I’m just trying to make a living, pay some bills, buy the kids some cloths for school, afford a piece of salmon once in awhile. And maybe, once in blue moon I will find myself engaging with someone else floating around in this vast cyber space who’s also trying to connect and make a living off their handmade goods. Now I’m off to tweet!

1 comment:

  1. I feel like I "engage" with people better on my Facebook page than on Twitter. Probably because I'm a wordy, wordy bastard and Facebook lets me type longer messages. :P

    I know what you mean about wanting to lock yourself away and just paint, btw...for the first month or two after I quit my job, I did exactly that. It was awesome. Now I'm bravely surging forth into the business side of art, and although it can be challenging, it still beats the living hell out of working at a call centre. :D

    ReplyDelete